Friday 2 December 2011

BIG SISTER (COVER STORY)


‘My Life  after MTN Project Fame West Africa’
-KRIMI


MTN PROJECT Fame is no doubt one of biggest singing competition in West Africa, over the years, the show has produced great talent across the continent, one of such products is Franka better known as Krimi in the MTN PF academy. Krimi who is in her 20's is an alumni of the season two edition, during the show, she proved to people who think size is a constraint that she was simply good and that won her  the  fourth highest vote making her emerge as the last woman standing with a cash price of one million Nigerian Naira. As a number one fan of Krimi during her days in the academy, I was curious to know what life was like after the show, so this  noel edition BIG SISTER Magazine, your truly Elsie-Coco presents to you the brilliant interview I had with her, sometime this year and she gladly led me into her world.

I would love to have an sight of your family background?                                                               

KRIMI: My name is Krimi Johnson. I am from a family of eight which includes my father, mother, and six kids. We are four girls and two boys and happen to be the number four. I am from Taraba State,(north) Nigeria, and my mum is from the Yoruba tribe (West)  which makes me a mix breed.                               
 
Where did you school?                                     

KRIMI: I schooled in the Polytechnic Ibadan and also schooled in Lead City University also in Ibadan where I majored in Politics and International Relations. I did my youth service in Osun state and presently, I live in Hyattsville, Maryland in the United States of America.                                                                        
  

Before you entered for MTN PROJECT Fame season 2 competition, were you singing?                                                             
   
KRIMI:Before I entered project fame, I was singing in the church, I sang in concerts and I sometimes did backup singing, mostly I did backup for most artists. I had a band that did the whole hi- life thing for weddings and parties.
                                                                                                
At what age did you start singing?
 
KRIMI: I was about 9 years old when I started. I  remember the first big program we had then in Katsina in the north, I was so shy when they told me I was going to lead the children choir and I did a great job, and after words singing became a part of me.
 

What made you enter into the MTN PF competition?             
   
KRIMI: I remember that day I was going to, eat Amala with my friends and I asked my friend for her phone to make a call but she refused, so I bought an MTN recharge card, then I saw the adverts, I was thrilled but still didn't want to go, so my elder sister Fidelia, Miss Big Queen, went online and filled the form, and then took me there and that was it.                                                           

 
         with elder sister Fidelia.pix courtesy Fidelia

How was it like making it into the academy after the various screening"                                                       
KRIMI: Honestly it was tough, after the Ibadan stage, which I was the only one chosen (and incidentally, that was their first time of coming to Ibadan) I was called to Lagos where I met twenty-four incredible singers and then they screened again to eighteen and then I fell in the bottom six where they had to pick the final fifteen, but I thank God because, He did it all, that was it.          


          In the academy. photo credit MTN PF2 

What was your experience like with your fellow contestants in the academy?              

KRIMI: Being the plus sized in the academy then, it was really challenging because we had the so called slim and sexy girls with great voices, but I still stood out and thanks to West Africa for helping me do that, most times I had do extra things like dancing and some funny things but I thank God for making it work for me.                                                

 Who were your closest pal?  

                                              
KRIMI:  Okay, I was close to every body in so many ways, I had Madonna as my friend in the house and I had Sametta a my mummy. I had David as my brother, and Mike(the winner) as my trouble friend. He was always looking for trouble every where. It was all fun with Denice,Dami Desmond, Zoe, Jenifer, Savanna,Tari our Tom boy, Nicolas was also troublesome and Anis. In short, I was close to every body, we all had fun I tell you.                        


 Performing during the MTN PF Photo credit: MTN PF2

While the academy, can you recount your best performance and worst performance? 

KRIMI:   My best was 'Don't cry for me Argentina' by Madonna, and my worst was the African week, and I sang along side Lara George.

Two years gone by since MTN PF2, what is the experience like?
  
KRIMI:  It has been great and I tell you, right now every body wants to marry me, the fame is good, and it's real, the buzz is good, and its big, meeting people and going places.                                                        

Any album plan ?                                            

KRIMI: My album is on hold right now but I am working on a project in America.

You seem to have this great carriage and good dress sense that some plus size sisters don’t have, what’s the secret? 

KRIMI: My secret is wear what fits you and not what people wear, and be proud in it.

 Message to the plus size sisters who seem to suffer from a low self esteem?


KRIMI: Get up and, and do something good with that sexy body that the Lord has given you, beauty comes from the inside, you need to feel the beauty before people see you and tell you.

 Last word for fans and supporters of Krimi?

KRIMI:I love you all but Jesus loves you best.

            
 BIG SISTER MAGAZINE QUIZ        QUIZ

FULL NAMES Franka Krimi Johnson

WEIGHT
A.        99 KG +
B.        100KG +
C.       200KG +

I AM MORE OF
A.        A Miss Goodie Two Shoes
B.        Happy-Go-Lucky Girl
C.       Extremist

I CAN’T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT
A. MY BLACKBERRY PHONE
B. MAKING UP
C. EAR RINGS
     
TRUST ME, I’M SO HOT ON:
A. NATIVES
B. CASUALS
C. CORPORATES
All of the above

DEAD OR ALIVE, I WOULD LOVE TO DINE WITH
A. MONIQUE
B. BRENDA FASSI
C. FELA ANIKULAPO-KUTI
       
I’M CRAZY ABOUT:
A. PETS
B. FASHION ACCERSORIES
C. PERFUMES
    


2 comments:

  1. I like your attitude and comments, pls. keep it up. Love your pictures too and you look very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Am so glad to have finally found some news about my big gurl Krimi. Was one of her most craziest fans during her time in the PF.. Can't wait to see her debut album. Go gurl God bless you real good.

    ReplyDelete