Thursday 1 December 2011

FOR THE BROTHERS (MEN WE HATE TO LOVE)


BIG SISTER Magazine's interview with South African publisher, MONGEZI BUTHEZI BOO.

BY ELSIE-COCO UTONG
The need for more publications to inspire the plus size sisters out there is a necessity as the plus size industry is growing world over. As a publisher of a premier plus size magazine in Nigeria, West Africa, I was tickled when i came across BIG & BEAUTIFUL Magazine, a South African magazine for the plus size sisters. I was curious on my part to know from the publisher who is a man, Mongerzi Buthelezi Boo what was the inspiration behind it.

 BIG SISTER MAGAZINE:Your full names?
  
Mongerzi:Mongezi Humphrey Buthelezi

 BIG SISTER MAGAZINE:How old are you?

Mongerzi:25 years

BIG SISTER MAGAZINE:Tell us briefly about your self?

Mongerzi:I am from Soweto, Johannesburg, I was born and raised in Soweto; I went to a school called Northview High School in Johannesburg, where I completed my Matric (Grade 12); I went on to study Bsc (Financial Mathematics) at Stellenbosch University but I never completed my studies, I then did a diploma in graphic design at City Varsity. I have a media and branding company which is responsible for a lot of projects but at the moment we focus on publishing a magazine for full figured women called Big And Beautiful.

 
           MONGEZI BUTHEZI BOO

BIG SISTER MAGAZINE:Tell us more about BIG & BEAUTIFUL MAGAZINE?

Mongerzi:Big And Beautiful: is a lifestyle magazine for full figured women In South Africa. it was formed in February 2010 and a website was launched in this regard. The magazine aims to celebrate full figured women, encourage full figured women to live beautiful healthy lives in their own skin, to embrace their curvaceous bodies and encourage the culture of self-love amongst all big women. The magazine informs and gives tips about fashion, beauty, health, love, sex, relationships and entertainment

BIG SISTER MAGAZINE:Why did you opt to publish a plus size magazine?

Mongerzi: South Africa (and Africa as a whole) has a lot of big, beautiful women but no lifestyle product was speaking with them so I decided to do a magazine for the big girls.

BIG SISTER MAGAZINE:Where do you see BIG & BEAUTIFUL Magazine in the next five years?

Mongerzi:In the next 5 years, i want to see BIG & BEAUTIFUL Magazine being read all over the globe, and in their respective languages.

BIG SISTER MAGAZINE:What do you think of a sister magazine, BIG SISTER Magazine, Nigeria?

Mongerzi: I was actually impressed and excited to learn about this publication. Africa needs to embrace the beauty of its African women and with publications such as these we should aim to make our statement stronger. I had a peep at it and I must say that's some pretty impressive stuff. Good Luck!!! God blessed! 

BIG SISTER MAGAZINE:Who are the plus size personalities you admire within and outside your country?

Mongerzi: A lot actually, in my country it has to be an actress by the name of Relebogile Mabotja and internationally it has to be Queen Latifah (who has been in the game for years and never opted to alter her body to suit anybody else.)

BIG SISTER MAGAZINE:Was is your message to plus size sisters with low self esteem?

Mongerzi:Big women should embrace and love their bodies. They should do so with passion and zeal. They should live healthy and exciting lives, and dispel the stereotypical thinking that all big women are big and lazy. Love thyself!!!

BIG SISTER MAGAZINE:What are your hobbies?


Mongerzi: I love traveling, watching and playing sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment