Tuesday 3 December 2013

STYLE ICON-Meet the lady behind Makani Couture


Makani Couture is a plus size fashion line based in Nigeria. The brand is out to promote curvy women and boost their confidence and also design wears that make them stand out at events. They recently started a modelling agency for curvy women. Big Sister Magazine hooked up with Stephine Chinelo Oduenyi, the creative director and she spoke to us exclusively on her brand.
Excepts:

Can we meet you?
My names are Stephanie Chinelo Oduenyi..
I graduated from Madonna university Elele Campus In 2008 . I studied microbiology.
I currently work in a telecommunications company while also running my fashion line, MAKANI COUTURE.

What inspired into the fashion business?
Well while growing up I had always loved to dress up and make people look good. I always dreamt of having my own boutique, beauty fitness and spa plaza.... still have that dream though..... so I thought to myself why stock up a boutique with other peoples designs where you could. Design you own piece and let your creativity speak for you when People wear your designs, so that is how this whole fashion thing started.

How long have you been in the fashion business?
That should be one year and 2months now

What inspired the name MAKANI?
MAKANI was crafted from my names AMAKA ODUENYI, remember I told you I have so many names?

Tell us about Makani couture?
Makani Couture is a Plus Size Fashion Line, which Looks towards bringing different contemporary styles that flatter the curves of a llus size lady.in the fashion Industry.
MAKANI COUTURE is basically trying to set an example of respect for size diversity in the Fashion Industry where the plus size can be recognized as much as the slim fit ladies fashion wise. I look forward to providing the plus sized with the widest selection of contemporary styles.
Let me make a point clear here..... MAKANI COUTURE designs for every fashion loving women out there irrespective of their body sizes though  PLUS SIZE MODELS are the brand image of MAKANI, so in case of adverts, fashion shows. MAKANI COUTURE uses plus size models to promote her brand.. this is basically a way or carving a niche for the plus size in the fashion industry. You can call it REWRITING FASHION.

What fabrics do you work with?
I work with all sorts of materials from Ankara to jeans to chiffon to lace to damask to swede to linen. I love to work with stretch materials more because. It helps boost curves of a curvy lady. But I work with any unique fabric I like.

Tell us about the fashion shows you have been part of?
I have attended for fashion shows this year so far. I have one more to wrap up the year with. . This year I attended NIGERIAN STUDENT FASHION DESIGN WEEK (NSFDW) in June? Same month I attended CYNOSURE MAGAZINES FASHION FUSION, I attended BEATS OF STYLE FASHION SHOW in October and NIGERIA MODELS CONVENTION AT ABUJA in November. And by December 15th I will be showcasing a GLITZ ON THE RUNWAY SEASON 2.... a celebrity based fashion show.
Last year I attended only one fashion show that was briefly after MAKANI COUTURE was born. It was the ANAMBRA FASHION WEEK HELD Marble ark Hotel AWKA... I brought ORIGINALITY to the runway and obviously won the BEST DESIGNER at that fashion show.

When will you be officially launching the brand?
If I say I havent thought about this several times then I would be lying to myself, well my fingers are crossed. I am still trying to pentrate the industry, Then my launch will set.so for now, launching my line is still in the pipeline.

Your highest moments since you started the business?
First was after my showcase at Nigerian student fashion design week, there was so much love from the audience and I got the attention of all mag/media present. They hustled just to get me interviewed and. also to take different snap shots of me... I FELT LIKE AN ACTUAL CELEBRITY.(Laughs)
Second was When I received my certificate of participation and honor from Nigeria Models Convention.
third also when my clothes were used on location by some of their casts at LEKKI WIVES SEASON2 Series.

Who are your client?
My clients are every fashion forward lady out there trying to make WOW statements at every event attended putting more highlights on the curvy women.

Tell us about any upcoming event?
Glitz on the runway/fashion recognition award is a celebrity based event which will see loads of celebrities walk the runway and also receive achievement awards MAKANI COUTURE will be dropping classy never seen before designs. That will definitely capture the audience... just keep it locked down and mark the dates on your calendar. ..15th DEC at troy lounge beside oriental hotel.

How do you see the fashion industry when it regards to plus size women?
The relationship between the fashion industry and fuller-figure women is at a standoff, but as the fashion world is growing vast there is also going to be more room for the plus size.
We at Makani Couture intend to put a change to that and see Plus Size Models walk the Runway ,stun at events and get more recognized in the fashion/entertainment industry.

People of criticize owners of plus size brands that they promoting obesity, what's your take on that?
(Laughs) @obesity that is funny, well I preach promoting the plus size brand because come to think of it, every one on planet earth cannot be slim, so we still have to cater for the fashion needs of the plus size woman, yet I don't preach obesity.  I still think ladies should eat healthy, exercise regularly and be fit. Obesity isn't really a good thing though. But saying we are promoting obesity is rather absurd. I will pretend I didn't even hear that.

Some big sisters out there have a low self esteem due to criticisms everywhere, what do you have to tell them?
Low self esteem shouldn't even your dictionary ladies. The first step is for you to begin to see your self and your curves as the best there is. You need to begin to appreciate and love yourself first that way you can overcome low self esteem. Another advice is for you to know the kind of clothes that flatter your body type that way you ooze confidence each time you step out. As a plus size lady, you need to be comfortable in your skin.

How do you see Makani brand in the next five years?
My brand in 5 years...I see a brand that would have gone international. Clothing de cream de la cream of the fashion industry both locally and internationally. I see a brand that in 5 years will be sharing the runway with top fashion icons and most importantly. A brand that would have penetrated the size fashion deep I to the roots of the fashion iduatry.

How can people order for your clothe or get in touch with you?
You can reach me on my email
makanicouture@yahoo.com
Or call me on 08127809416 or 08032363431
Twitter: @stephnelo
Instagram: stephmakani
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/makanicouture
Am still trying to get my website up and running.



                                                          Makani Couture on the runway


2 comments: