Friday 29 June 2012

COVER GIRLS ON PARADE

COVER GIRLS PARADE
They are a representation of true African women, big, bold, beautiful, full of strength and purposeful. They are women who have made remarkable strides in their various fields of endeavors and proven to be forces to recon with. They have entertained us in movies, music, comedy, pageantry, the media and entertainment world in general.
These sisters who are enviable among their peers and role models to fans and younger generation undoubtedly inspired our 5 editions, in the last one year of publishing BIG SISTER, they took us way back to their humble beginning to the days of fame and challenges ahead of them.  
Months have passed by, our cover girls are still holding onto their game, exploring fame and achieving greater heights. In this anniversary edition BSM recaps our interesting moments with them.
 
Lepacious Bose
Olubose Ogunboye aka Lepacioous Bose is one sister that has been holding it down in the comedy field. In 2009, she won the best female comedian award in Nigeria. We were proud to have this Theater Arts graduate/barrister grace our very first edition. In our 3 page interview with her, one of the things she talked about was her brand in her words;My brand is different because my brand is natural. My brand is more about myself. I don’t insult people. I don’t go on stage and make the audience my target. I don’t just sit down and say ‘Bros, see your head see your nose, see your lips.’ And so my brand does a lot of self esteem building for big people, because I make fun of it in such a way that you will not feel bad about yourself anymore after seeing me. It’s like you telling  yourself  if someone this big as Lepacious can be this active, can be this alive, can be this care free about it, then there is nothing wrong with me. My brand is a way of saying to people that I am who I am and I am proud of who I am. That is what my brand is all about.’  
 
Roselyn Ngissah
For our 2nd edition, she decided to spread our sisterly movement to our neigbouring country Ghana and who best could grace our cover edition if not Roselyn Ngissah, the 2011 best actress in Ghana award winner for the movie 4 Can Play.
The Krimi Sisters
They are better known as The Krimi Sisters and we were proud to have the duo of Franka and Fidelia grace our 3rd edition. Franka aka Krimi an upcoming performing artist would be remembered to be the last woman standing during  MTN Project Fame West Africa season2. When BSM asked what her experience was like in the MTNPF academy, here is what she had to say;Being the biggest plus sized in the academy then, it was really challenging because  we had the so called slim and sexy gals with great voices, but  I still stood out and thanks to West Africa for helping me do that, most times I had to do extra things like dancing and some funny things but I thank God for making it work for me.’                                                 
And for Fidelia who is an ex-plus sized beauty queen, she had a word of advice for sisters with low self esteem; Fat is not an ailment, be yourself, you may have one thing God has deposited in you that will bring a change to this great nation. You are beautiful and lucky to have come as a full option so rock and roll big sis flaunt it, cause at the end of the day its all about you. It’s your life and while using your time to stay shy at home, others are moving on. Big is beautiful. Big is African. Big is actually Nigerian.’

RELEBOGILE MABOTJA
We continued our sisterly movement from coast to coast and for our 4th edition, we stopped by The Sun City where we caught up with South Africa’s sister of many parts RELEBOGILE MABOTJA, a performing artist, actress, presenter, writer and producer. We were curious to know what were her challenges that come along side fame, hear her; ‘Privacy can be a bit of an issue at times. Contrary to what some may believe, I can be very shy in public and around people I don’t know. Can be uncomfortable and its something I’ll never get used. The great thing is having a platform. I am able to say something and have people listen. I can bring a voice to great causes and things like that make all the ‘disadvantages’ worth it   

Diwari Peterside
Diwari Peterside was on our cover for the 5th edition. Dee as popularly called another up coming artist who stood out as a full figured sister during the just continued Nigerian Idol season2. With her slight resemblance with international act Adele,  BSM couldn’t help asking if anyone had ever told her that and surprisingly she said; ‘ Yes! I got that a lot on the show (Nigerian Idol) especially from my fellow contestants. I think it's because we are both big and in love with false lashes. I absolutely LOVE Adele. I've covered her songs so much on my gigs I almost believe they're mine now. Her music is soulful and her voice is to die for.’
They graced our back page. They were our very own plus size model.


No comments:

Post a Comment