Thursday 31 May 2012

BIG SISTER (COVER STORY)


NIGERIAN IDOL'S DIWARI, STANDING OUT AS A FULL FIGURED SISTER 

   

Months have gone by after the Nigerian Idol, how has it been after the whole show?
1.Since the show, real life has kicked in. The industry is such that you have to keep pushing at every point in time to get ahead, and that's what I've been doing to the best of my ability.

You were one of the most noticed contestants in the competition due to your carriage as a big, bold and beautiful sister? How did that make you feel?
I've always been a full figured lady, so it's pretty normal. I think standing out is always a good thing.




Let’s meet you. who is Diwari Perterside?  I'm from the ancient kingdom of Opobo town in Rivers State, Nigeria. My dad is a retired chartered accountant and my mom is a business woman. I've got 3 siblings, a pharmacist sister, engineer brother and the youngest is currently doing her youth service. I grew up in Lagos and went to school there until I left for the UK where I studied law at university. I also have a Masters in Entertainment Law.



Law degree and music, how do you intend combining that?
 Combining my training as a lawyer with my love for music will definitely be interesting to accomplish. But my masters gives me a bit of leverage to reconcile both fields.


Where were you and what were you dong before Nigerian Idol season2?
 Believe it or not I was serving too! Lol. I was fresh out of law school and I was doing with my youth service as one of the in-house lawyers of an oil company. I was pretty talentless for a while! Lol. I discovered I could sing in the later part of primary school and honed it through out my secondary school days.


How did you get to know about Nigerian Idol and what made you enter for the competition? 

I accompanied my friend who was auditioning as well on the first day. While waiting, I struck up a conversation with a member of staff who then encouraged me to try out. I'd also been looking for a chance to express myself musically as I did not intend to practice law indefinitely. So I thought, why not? I came back the following day by myself to audition and the rest is history.



When you entered into the house, what did you have at the back of your mind?
 Entering the house, my mindset was- take it a week at a time. That was the only way to survive.




 
Click & Watch Diwari's performance


How long were you in the house and tell us about your experience in the house?
I was in the house for a month. It was a very different experience from what I expected. The glamorous outlook with which we were presented to the world, wasn't exactly the case when the cameras were turned off. I enjoyed the hardwork because there was a goal in mind. And the housemates were just colourful characters.



Who was your best pal in the house? Are you still in contact with this person and the other house mates?
 I got on well with everyone but had 2 "besties"! Ibinabo Romeo and A.Y.O. It literally broke my heart when they were evicted first. I cried my eyes out. We are definitely still in touch and hang out every other week. I'm also in touch with Nikki and some of the others.



Which would you say was our best performance during the competition?
 I think the performance that got me noticed was Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On". Perhaps because of the beautiful gown and my chance to show off the power in my vocals. My favourite was Whitney Houston week.

 Which performance were you or the judges not so impressed?
 I never received bad feedback from the judges. However, my last performance on Highlife week, Charly Boy commented I'd mixed up the Igbo lyrics a bit. Despite that it still had an awesome reception.

 Tell us what you normal routine was like the house?
 Wake up, morning aerobics/meditation, shower, breakfast, head to the studio to rehearse, get back, unwind, rehearse some more or relax, dinner, bed.


What lessons did you learn during the competition? What impact did it bring to your life?
I learned a whole lot! Asides creativity in music being a must; also being careful when dealing with different types of people as they may not completely understand you. In addition, I
have a big mouth and can be extremely assertive but sometimes, playing the fool is wiser!


How did you feel when you were evicted?
 I was alright at first; then I felt sad, like I had failed and let everybody down. But that eviction morning I had prayed as usual and asked God to let His will be done. So that gave me the strength to accept that I'd gotten all I was supposed to from Nigerian Idol and that there were bigger and better things in store for me.


What next for Diwari in terms of music?
 What's next is music, music and more music. This is what I was born to do so there's no stopping me now. I am currently working on a single, with an album in view. My music is different from the regular Nigerian hits. It's more of real music and good vocals, with a touch of class and meaningful lyrics- songs that can encourage, uplift- the stuff music is supposed to do. I see an eclectic mix of Cobhams Asuquo, M.I. and Duncan Mighty in my future. Lol.



Have you been told that you pass for the African version of Adele?
Yes! I got that a lot on the show, especially from my fellow contestants. I think it's because we are both big and in love with false lashes.

What do you think of her songs?I absolutely LOVE Adele. I've covered her songs so much on my gigs I almost believe they're mine now. Her music is soulful and her voice is to die for.



Which international artist are you looking forward to work with?
Adele, Alicia Keys, John Legend...

 Where do you see Diwari in the next 5years?
 An international brand. Platinum album sales, a voice for women, an entrepreneur, a true ambassador of God and my country.



What do you think about BIG SISTER Magazine, for the curvy and plus sized sisters?
We need more of this! Curvy is Beautiful concept needs to be shoved in the media faces more so it can be appreciated properly. Loving it!




What advice do you have for sisters with low self  esteem?
 Been there, gotten over it. You're a big girl and that's not gonna change so carry it with pride. Take care of yourself and you'll find that confidence draws people to you. Cheer up! :)http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/images/blank.gif



Last word for fans of Diwari that voted and supported you during the Nigerian Idol?
 You guys are AMAZING. I can't thank you enough for believing in me and supporting me till the end. God bless you all because good things are coming your way; and I'll be back sooner than you think.

BIG SISTER QUIZ
Your full names?-Diwari Peterside
Birth day? -October 1
Height? -5'8
Weight?-Haven't stepped on a scale in a while- 14 stone I think
Favorite food?-Boiled yam with palm oil and fresh fish peppersoup
Most valuable treasure?- My glasses
I feel sexier wearing? - Low cut tops/ Short skirts
Celebrity I consider as my role model?   - Oprah

One item you’ll always find inside my hand bag? (makeup bag/hair brush or phone)- My Blackberry

Best I way relax- Movie marathon session
- Rats


My phobia is……
Some day, I would love to visit these two countries?- Malaysia and Australia
Describe Nigeria in one sentence?- Colourful

1 comment:

  1. Keep moving up Diwari, God will open doors for you and we will keep supporting you as always!!! Go #teamdiwari

    ReplyDelete